Sunday, August 20, 2006

Every now and then i guess we will think realistically about that one day where we fall victim to what i call one's mortality, our life's final common denominator - death. Every now and then I ask myself, "What is it that I would want said of me?" 

If any of you are around when I have to meet my day, I don't want a long funeral. And if you get somebody to deliver the eulogy, I will tell them not to talk too long. Every now and then I wonder what I want them to say.

Tell them not to mention that I have made many accimplishments, that isn't important. Tell them not to mention that I have three or four hundred other awards, that's not important. Tell him not to mention where I went to school.

I'd like somebody to mention that day, that Ma ZhengXuan, tried to give his life serving others. I'd like for somebody to say that day, that Ma ZhengXuan, tried to love somebody. I want you to be able to say that day, that I did try, in my life, to clothe those who were naked. I want you to say that I tried to love and serve humanity.

"If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven played music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well." - Marin Luther King Jr.

1 comment:

kwishum said...

These words appear to be chapter 2 of a book by David Roper, A Man to Match the Mountain:Overcoming the Obstacles of Life.

Am I correct?